Confused girls

makin-do

Hatching
Nov 25, 2015
Hi, I got my three, year old girls from a friend. His coop only had roost bars and lay boxes. Mine has a nice hen house for them to crash. I finally got them to enter the house, but they sleep on the floor. I have a roost bar across from the lay boxes about a foot higher with a poo box below. Any thoughts on how I can get them to use the roost bar at night? Also, I haven't had an egg in 2 weeks and only 4 the 2 weeks prior when I got them. One of my birds has lost alot of feathers around the neck and bottom. I'm in Phx so the temps aren't bad...30-40 lows, 65-75 highs. Normal? Thx

Hi, I got my three, year old girls from a friend What breed are they?.  His coop only had roost bars and lay boxes.  Mine has a nice hen house for them to crash.  I finally got them to enter the house, but they sleep on the floor.  I have a roost bar across from the lay boxes about a foot higher with a poo box below.  Any thoughts on how I can get them to use the roost bar at night?  Try putting them on the roost right before dark or a little after. Doing this a few times will get them used to the roost and, hopefully, they will start going to roost on their own. Also, I haven't had an egg in 2 weeks and only 4 the 2 weeks prior when I got them.  It is normal for hens to stop laying for a time when they have been moved to a new environment.One of my birds has lost alot of feathers around the neck and bottom At this time of year the hens may be molting. This also would be a reason why they have stopped laying.. I'm in Phx so the temps aren't bad...30-40 lows, 65-75 highs. Normal?  Thx

I sure wish I lived in Phoenix. Wisconsin here.

How long have you had them?
Can you post pics of the coop/roosts/run?
What are you feeding?

Probably some moving stress and/or molting.

One thing consistent about chickens...they can be inconsistent!

First attempt at pics...I have since lowered the roost bat 6". One uses it, one doesn't and the other still sleeps outside. We're getting there.

Back
Top Bottom