Confused.......help.......grit......oyster shells......

K7 Menagerie

Songster
11 Years
May 6, 2008
Bend, OR
I'm trying to figure out what my 7-1/2 week old chicks need. I have them on starter crumbles, but I am starting to add in a few treats, such as mealworms. I've been reading that you should give them grit.....no, don't give them grit........they need oyster shells........no, that's bad for chicks.......they need both grit and oyster shells.......they don't need either one at this age........GAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
barnie.gif

NO on the oyster shells. That's for calcium. They do not need that till they are laying eggs. Some feedstores will try to sell you that as "oyster grit". Dont fall for it.
If they are eating anything other than starter feed, they need grit. Simple as that. Grit grinds their food. If they cant grind it they can get an impacted crop. Yogurt, no grit needed. Lettuce, yes you need grit.

I did give them a bit of oyster shell this evening, thinking that was what they needed.....is it going to hurt them????
sad.png

I PMd you, but I'll answer here, too. That little bit wont hurt, but just dont give them anymore till they are laying eggs. Excess calcium at this stage isn't good and since their little bodies are not forming shells, they don't need it.

Can I piggy back on this thread?

Is playsand adequate grit? Or should I buy actual grit?

They've only gotten egg and banana as treats so far. I did give them a whole box of parakeet grit which they went through pretty fast. I have a bin of sand in there for them to bathe in as well which they are eating.

Wondering if I should buy more grit or if sand is enough?

Piggyback away, CritterHill. That was pretty close to my next question. How much do they need, what is or isn't good to use as grit? Thanks so much to all of you .......so much to learn!

The way you give chicks grit is to sprinkle just a little on their feed when you are about to give them something that is not their starter. Never give them a bowl of grit as tiny babies-they may gorge on it and kill themselves by just eating the grit since they really dont know any better at this age. Parakeet grit is okay, playsand is okay for small chicks, but you will need larger grit when they are a bit older. Actually, I rarely give chicks any extras for the first two or more months of their lives, maybe a little chopped hardboiled egg or yogurt, but nothing they really need grit for. They need the protein and treats replace the protein balance.

Last edited:
So sorry to interupt...I have a Q too..
big_smile.png

Will they ever pick up sand, stones etc... on there own for grit as they range? Or does it always have to be provided?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom