Confused Hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brian, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    I either have a hen that is lesbian, or a rooster. Tell me what you think?

My 16 hens (?) are all five and a half months old. I get 10-12 eggs a day at this stage of the game, though some hens haven't started laying yet.

So, yesterday I 'm pulling some weeds, and I then , just 10 feet away, I see one on by australorps grab another aussie by the neck and then mate with her. He/She did it with ease, as if he/she'd been doing it for years. Not once have I heard any crowing. And, other than this one occasion, I've not seen any rooster-like behavior.

Of my birds, I have 4 aussies. Two are a good size, with well developed combs, wattles, etc. One is moderate in size and development. The last one is diminutive, with smaller features overall. Though the two larger ones are bigger, they're not tremendously so.

So...what do you think? What just occurred here? Did one of my girls just get raped by a lesbian hen? Or, do I have a roo who's been keeping a low profile? Please let my hen be a LESBIAN!

At nearly six months of age, you'd think a roo would have manifested itself with some earlier behavior, especially crowing.

Brian

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Since there's no such thing as a lesbian chicken, you either have a rooster or a dominant hen. Sometimes they are a long time starting to crow.

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:We have experience an alpha hen who would dominate the hens and even mount them like a rooster, but she also layed eggs.

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Many times "mounting" behaviour in animals is merely an expression of dominance, having really no sexual importance.

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night I saw my alpha roo do this to another roo, wasn't sure how to bring it up on a "family" friendly way. Thought I would have to use words like "jail house shower room behaviour"..... Thinking I should put him in lock down (solitary) for the sake of the rest.....

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    My DD said that we would certainly end up with some lesbian chickens, since we ordered the "Rainbow pack"!
    Kids these days, really!
    [​IMG]

7. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    My old roos used to swing both ways. It's natural. When I was little, the bus stop was across the street from our dairy farm neighbors and we got quite an education from the cows. Not one our parents were too thrilled to hear about, of course...

8. Beanbag

Beanbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    Last night I saw my alpha roo do this to another roo, wasn't sure how to bring it up on a "family" friendly way. Thought I would have to use words like "jail house shower room behaviour"..... Thinking I should put him in lock down (solitary) for the sake of the rest.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. ReykjaTavi

ReykjaTavi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    When I was growing up, we had two buckeyes. One rooster, one hen. The hen laid eggs. Then all the sudden it tried to be the "top" to the rooster. Then it grew a huge bright red comb. Then it started crowing. It wasn't until I got chickens again that I came across this site:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKChange.html

It's about F-M sex change in poultry. Don't know how often it happens, but it sure eased my scarred childhood. lol

Amber

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah, well they are not frogs, so I'd have to see it to believe it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by