Confused....is she a HE ? ***Pics***

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, May 6, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I have two BAs and they are the same age and they are looking verrrrry different at 7 weeks. Could I be looking at a young roo?

Here are the two of them....

Molly:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holly:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The combs are different and the tails look different to me. If one is a roo, I have already found a wonderful home for him but I want pullets...LOL

Tell me if you see a roo....Opinions?

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I really don't see a roo. Not sure why there is such a difference in combs, but the second one's comb isn't red. And it's not really very big, though I've never had Autras. They both have typical hen feathers.

3. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    I have 3 chicks I bought at TSC supposed to be BA , 1 looks like yours which I'm hoping are pullets, 1 has some red on it's breast , not sure if it's a BA the other has more of comb this one I think is a roo...I'll take pics and post.

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Don't worry about the tails -- they're all different, even with sisters. I had three Jersey Giants, one with an up tail, one with a down tail, and one with no tail. All girls! (Now all the tails look the same).

Early and reddish comb development is more of an indicator, I think. That chicken doesn't look as rooish as my rooster did at that age.

[​IMG]

5. RobinEgg

Feb 21, 2008
    ok here are the 3 I bought at TSC...they were listed as BA....not sure that the one with the red is a BA....I hope for a couple of pullets but they were straight run so who knows. they're 5 wks now.
    [​IMG]this one has red on breast and some on back, I'm hoping for pullet , probably an EE as they were in the same tub
    [​IMG]this one I'm sure is a roo...nice red tall comb and wattles
    [​IMG]this one I'm hoping is pullet..poor pis but they didn't want to have their pics taken .
    all three have black legs and legs are about the same size....as for tails the second two are just starting to get them.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That one with the reddish brown...looks like the feather pattern of a gold laced wyandotte....that is not a BA for sure though. they are black with white on the tummy and throat and face area but no reds or browns. Maybe one of the old hands will know exactly what breed she is.

7. RobinEgg

Feb 21, 2008
    the last two have no red on them , just the bit of white on throats and bellys, they are tall chicks with heavy bodies, the one with the red has a comb that looks almost black. ...oh well she's a chicken , lol, if nothing else. I have 2 BA pullets ordered from Ideal , when I bought these I figured would all be roos and so I wanted a couple hens to go with them.....DH says he's not building a bunch of houses to keep everyone separated....oh but little does he know yet, lol.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hehehehehe mine said I was building for the chickens by myself. He started making my chicken tractor today. bwahahahahahahaha

I told him I was going to start it but I was messing up the wood. he came flying and took over.

I am the one who works with wood not him...and grew up in construction too. hehehehe Men are sooooooo easy. [​IMG]

9. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    RobinEgg...The one with the gold feathers looks like pictures I've seen of a Black sex-link. If so, it's probably a pullet.

Cetawin...I can see why you're confused. The first chick has barely any comb but thick legs. The second has finer legs but a more prominent comb. They both look like pullets to me. But I'm no expert...I've just done a lot of reading here and elsewhere. They are sure beautiful chicks!

10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Cetawin::::::you have a hen. Beautiful too. Especially the blue tint in the eyes.

Robinegg::::: the first pic looks like my daughters Black Sex-link

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by