Confused maturing (broody) brahma

Chicken Lady UK

Songster
Aug 4, 2020
Hello, I have had plenty of experience of 'breaking' broody hens in the past, prior to having a cockerel in my flock.
I now have Hercules and my wonderful 11 month old hen, Lemon Puff, started getting broody last Friday. I have no problem with her hatching some chicks and I gathered up a few eggs for her which she happily tucked under her fluffed up body.
My concern is that her hormones have kicked in and she is confused rather than being 100% broody, because
1) She gets off the eggs for (what I think) are long periods, not just popping out to poop and feed.
2) When she goes back into the house she doesn't necessarily go and sit back on the eggs, in fact, a couple of times she has sat on the opposite side of the house.
3) She 'growls' at the other chickens but no more aggression than noise and she is perfectly happy with me being with her.
4) Whilst sitting with the chickens yesterday afternoon she came out of the house, immediately jumped into my lap for a cuddle (she always does this) but then preceded to scratch and try to make a nest in my lap (love her).
I have removed the eggs that she had as they were stone cold most of the time.
Is her behavior normal for a broody hen and should I stop worrying about her not sitting on the eggs for long periods ?
Should I 'break' her rather than let her feel broody but not acting 100% in order for the eggs to hatch ?
I do not want to put her through 3 weeks of this for nothing.
I don't like to see her confused like this so any helpful advice/experience of this would be very grateful 🐔

Back
Top Bottom