Confused, my blue Marans hen is crowing!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wise Woman, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Ok I know crowing is a sign of being a rooster, but this hen does not look at all like a rooster. I bought 3 chicks on Mother's Day from a breeder. There were supposed to be two blue Marans hens and one splash Marans hen. The splash is not a splash and is an oliver egger I think and is definitely a hen. The two blue Marans look identical, except one has feather on it's legs and one does not. Combs are exactly the same size as are their bodies. No wattles have developed and they are now about 3 months old. However, the clean legged one has taken to trying to crow. I don't understand this. Could it still possibly be a rooster even though it looks like a hen? I never had Marans before, so this is a learning experience for me. I have looked at as many pictures of 2 to 3 month old Marans roos as I could find and my hen does not look like that, so what is with the crowing? We did have one hen a while back who tried to crow, but she sounded more like a tire deflating and it was quite hilarious. This Marans hen has a pretty strong err err going on. Here is her picture.

[​IMG]

And another one.

[​IMG]

This is her sister who is the same age and does not try to crow. If it were not for the different legs, I would have a hard time telling them apart.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated as I cannot keep a roo. I am desperately trying to get some Marans in my flock and I was hoping my little trio would be a good start. However, I am already down one due to the one being an olive egger and not a blue Marans. Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    that is a cockeral [​IMG]

3. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Sorry but that's a roo

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Roos and not Marans either.

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Yep thats a cockerel, sorry. Are they all olive eggers? They both have beards and muffs which marans don't have

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Definitely a boy and looks like an EE.

7. Wise Woman

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    My Camille is really a Carl? Oh no! Ok then, stupid question coming. How can you tell? Their combs are almost identical and on the pictures I have seen of a 2 month old blue Marans rooster, his comb was way bigger than this one's is and he had waddles. I need to learn how to tell them apart for the future as I cannot keep roosters at all. Not Marans? Are you kidding me? I paid for Marans from a breeder. What do you think they are then? Thank you for your response.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the comb looks smaller because it is a pea comb, not a single comb that a marans is supposed to have. that is a large, 3 row pea comb which at that age is definitely a roo

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Nope not kidding, they are not Marans.....might have some Marans in them because of the feathered feet, but they look like EEs to me. They have a pea comb while a Marans has a single comb....plus they have muffs which Marans do not have.

10. Wise Woman

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Guess I really got duped! I was sold a Blue Marans trio. She does breed olive eggers as well so I will guess that is what they are? She had all the chicks together and perhaps she got them all mixed up. Carl will have to be finding a new home then. Anyone interested in him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by