CONFUSED ON GRIT!

Fawn and Fam

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
My pullets are 7 weeks (still using up starter) and in the house (still freezing at night). I haven't started grit yet because I haven't given them anything besides starter and occasional ground oatmeal. They are on sand and I see them eating it sometimes. My feed store told me I'll never need grit because when they go outside (hopefully this coming week if warms up enough) they will have a dirt run (not free range but a large run). They said they will eat however much dirt they need, so I don't need grit. Is that true?

Last edited:
YES, chickens pick up enough tiny stones from the dirt to help break down their food. People on the forum sometimes recommend giving chicks coarse sand instead of buying chick grit, if they want to give their chicks some treats like fruit.

So even when they are full grown they won't need grit because they are in a large dirt run?

I offer grit for my ladies, despite being in a dirt floor run, frankly i would rather ensure they get the amount they need than just hope they do, actually i have some out for my ducks and the DO free range, acres and still nibble at it on occasion.

I too buy grit and throw it on the ground for them to pick at, since I feed a lot of whole grains. Mine are in a large pen also.

I buy the #3 cherrystone brand grit from the feed store. Grit stays in the crop for up to a year or more from what I have read, so they won't need a lot of it. If your soil has sharp gravel in it then you are good to go!

Back
Top Bottom