Confused On Quail Feeding

KyleD.

Songster
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
south carolina
Okay i know that everyone on here says they eat "Game bird feed" well i stopped by the TSC yesterday and the only game bird feed is Game Cock feed. Is that what it is? And as far as extra protein Kitten food when younger and Cat food when older right? Okay one more NON-medicated chick starter correct?

i have button quail and i have been giving mine layer and sometimes scratch and some time grower finisher. how old are your quails? they also like fresh veggies. mine are laying great. i know it says they need high protein food. thats why i mix layer with what ever else i give them. you might see if there are any other feed stores near your house. you might give them a call and maybe they could tell you something. they normally tell me they dont have anything.
sad.png
thats why im trying different things to see what works best. i also know i did see something for sale one time online but i havent been able to find it since!!

I use non-medicated game bird starter for chicks and adults. I do not add anything to it. I make them treats I grind a hard boiled egg shell and all with cat food
And fresh fruit and veggies. Oh and bugs they love bugs

well i technically don't have quail yet but i have 23 eggs in the incubator. I'm just trying to make sure when they hatch i'll have EVERYTHING perfect and wont worry with freaking out lol. So you feed them Chick starter their whole life?

that game cock stuff is for game bantam/standard chickens but if the protien is right it may be good for adult quail if it's your only option.
smile.png

You're right on the kitty food thing
smile.png
You dont need to feed it to them everyday though, i'd say every other day to once a week.
smile.png
Adults dont need it no where near as much as chicks do.
smile.png

nonmedicated chick starter is fine
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
his line is mostly from SamG's original line which had (Sam is working to get his orginal stock back I dunno if he did yet tho) some bigguns in it!
smile.png
I have 3-4 of his (sams line) line still and a PC curly (but you know about her lol)! All these birds are 10 oz or over
smile.png

edited because it sounded confusing to me lol

Last edited:
Quote:
thanks so much, i just really want this whole thing to be successful instead of failure lol. I'm just worried im gonna forget some key pointsor freak out on what to feed them and such. so will regular laying crumble and some cat fooad say once a week okay for adults? then chick starter and kitten foor say 3 times a week? would that be somewhere around where i should be?

Back
Top Bottom