Confused On Quail Feeding

Discussion in 'Quail' started by KyleD., Mar 29, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Okay i know that everyone on here says they eat "Game bird feed" well i stopped by the TSC yesterday and the only game bird feed is Game Cock feed. Is that what it is? And as far as extra protein Kitten food when younger and Cat food when older right? Okay one more NON-medicated chick starter correct?

2. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    i have button quail and i have been giving mine layer and sometimes scratch and some time grower finisher. how old are your quails? they also like fresh veggies. mine are laying great. i know it says they need high protein food. thats why i mix layer with what ever else i give them. you might see if there are any other feed stores near your house. you might give them a call and maybe they could tell you something. they normally tell me they dont have anything. [​IMG] thats why im trying different things to see what works best. i also know i did see something for sale one time online but i havent been able to find it since!!

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I use non-medicated game bird starter for chicks and adults. I do not add anything to it. I make them treats I grind a hard boiled egg shell and all with cat food
    And fresh fruit and veggies. Oh and bugs they love bugs

4. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    well i technically don't have quail yet but i have 23 eggs in the incubator. I'm just trying to make sure when they hatch i'll have EVERYTHING perfect and wont worry with freaking out lol. So you feed them Chick starter their whole life?

5. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    What kind of quail?

6. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Cortunix from PC.

7. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    Very cool I am told he has a great line!

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    that game cock stuff is for game bantam/standard chickens but if the protien is right it may be good for adult quail if it's your only option. [​IMG]

You're right on the kitty food thing [​IMG] You dont need to feed it to them everyday though, i'd say every other day to once a week. [​IMG] Adults dont need it no where near as much as chicks do. [​IMG]

nonmedicated chick starter is fine [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:his line is mostly from SamG's original line which had (Sam is working to get his orginal stock back I dunno if he did yet tho) some bigguns in it! [​IMG] I have 3-4 of his (sams line) line still and a PC curly (but you know about her lol)! All these birds are 10 oz or over [​IMG]

edited because it sounded confusing to me lol

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  10. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Quote:thanks so much, i just really want this whole thing to be successful instead of failure lol. I'm just worried im gonna forget some key pointsor freak out on what to feed them and such. so will regular laying crumble and some cat fooad say once a week okay for adults? then chick starter and kitten foor say 3 times a week? would that be somewhere around where i should be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by