1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused please put in your input

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, Apr 25, 2011.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    I just got a new Hygrometer from Dickie and they told me that if they dont meet there standards then they dont let them out. So The new one reads 8-10 percent higher then the old one. I have had some hatches that arent all that good, a few chicks day 21, a few day 22, and a few day 23 but never really any good hatches. I keep my humidity 35-40 (so 45-50) and my temp. has been set at 100 so it doesnt drop below 99.5 before the thermostat kicks on. Lock down is Humidity 60-63 (68-72old hygro) temp is still 100. With my humidity 8-10 degrees low what effects would that cause on the chicks? Temp on both hygrometers is the same. I am going with the one that I just got from Dickie because they tested it and said it passed their specs. Pleas any help would be awesome. All eggs are from my own stock which were all fertile and growing on day 10. Thanks all for any help.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I always recommend to calibrate ANY hygrometer prior to setting eggs.

3. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Alright so I just got done testing them but to make sure I am going to explain what I did to make sure I did it right. What I did was I got non Iodide salt covered the bottom of a bowl and added water so that it was the consistency of wet sand. Is this right? Last time I did this with some really cheap hygrometers I used like 1/3 cup of salt.

Hygrometer readings after about a day

New 66%
    Old is 62%

So I know I am supposed to add to each

New 66+9 to equal 75 (so keep it at 26%-31%) right? for lock down 51%-56%

Old 62+13 to equal 75 (so keep this one at 22%-27%) Right? for lock down 47%-52%

Let me know if I am mistaken on any of these. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by