confused pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by naked_neck, Sep 16, 2007.

1. naked_neck

naked_neck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    i have what i thought was a pair of self blue OEGB. turns out i have two pullets. i found 2 eggs in their cage and both of them have the widened pubic bones. i was dumbfounded when i saw 2 eggs in their cage.

1 of them started crowing at about 16 weeks and acted like a roo. it would jump and peck at me when id go to feed them. typical game bantam roo behavior. we figured that the roo was a bit slow maturing because they both looked the same. it even went as far as mounting the other one. about 4 weeks ago, it stopped crowing. it stopped trying to attack me and quit harassing the other one. they still looked about the same so we didnt know what to think. i went out to check them 4 days ago and find 2 eggs. 2 days ago, 2 more eggs, today, 2 more eggs.

i guess i had a very dominant pullet. they are both the sweetest girls now. anybody else ever had this happen?

2. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    It happens occassionally - some chickens can be quite androgynous. We have one roo I still have some doubts about. [​IMG]

-Frank

3. nutmeg

nutmeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    I have two chicks, 17 weeks old tomorrow, and one of them is larger and fancier than the other. I am concerned about this one being a rooster but it displays absolutely no rooster behaviors. This birds "father" was jumping on his stuffed toy and crowing at about 10 weeks. It also had a very large comb and waddles at about 10 weeks too. I have pictures. This one has very small waddles and a rose comb. I know the other is a hen. The hen that laid these eggs was a very small black bird with a fluffy top knot and a rose comb. She laid greenish blue eggs. The rooster was a mixed breed but has the look of a RIR.

I had to get the rooster two new hens since the little black one was killed by a predator. Again I don't know breeds, the breeder I got them from doesn't keep them separate they just mix all those genes every which way.One is all black, a little squat, round body,not too large but larger than my first one and the other is black with neck feathers that are orangish/brown. It's neck is rather long and it's body is more slender.

So I have 1 rooster for sure and three hens for sure with one unknown. Will I have trouble with these numbers. So far the rooster ,who is a monster to me, is wonderful with his 2 new hens. The two chicks stay pretty close to each other and while they all free range together and eat around each other
    they don't interact other wise.

Looking for any advice or encouragement. Still hoping for that fourth hen but not going to hold my breath.

4. naked_neck

naked_neck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    just wait until an egg comes out. then youll know for sure if its a girl.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by