Confused re; brooding and mess i found this morning

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ok I had two hens sharing a nest, seriously they were tag teaming and many a time would "sit" together. Well a few days ago(maybe inching towards a week) the one hen left and was no longer brooding with the other hen.

Now last night and recently the other hen was, my one daughter said she was on the nest last night at close up time.

Well this morning she leaves with the rest of the flock.. odd is what i thought at first but anyways.. well I discover two eggs broken.. both with dead ducks yet i would say not of equal development.

NO predator got in the barn, she is not marked up at all so no fight occurred. I can't find anymore eggs in the nest either but i'll be honest i have no clue how many there were anymore i know when they started it was double digits but rarely got a chance to see much later on.

[​IMG] what happened? kinda sad they didn't make it but I'm glad all with the adult birds themselves is ok... perhaps there was something wrong with them? I didn't look all that close.. sorry.. just a bit much for my morning. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience depending upon the temperment of the individuals involved, multiple hens sharing a nest can frequently result in broken eggs and decreased hatch rates. In this instance it almost sounds as if a predator may have attacked the nest.

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah, i know success rates are lower when they 'team up' ... but not much i could do lol

No predator got in the barn, as i said all was well last night when my daughter locked up at night... As well i have another hen that has an entire nest of eggs in the barn too.. they are all fine.

Oh well, I'll just chalk it up to a failed attempt the hens are all young, there will be plenty of other opportunities.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well to update for myself lol

The hen has taken over the other nest of eggs! [​IMG] she is one broody girl.. doubt the other hen appreciates the sentiment however. Maybe we will get babies after all, better timing for April/may anyways.. hopefully less erratic temps.

5. That was nice the other hen took over -- my duo of broody hens hatched out two chicks -- so I gave them to one and let the other keep sitting. The silkie got the two chicks, as she was smaller and wedging herself UNDER the other hen (the closest one to the eggs wins, I guess) I hope the other hen hurries up and hatches at least a couple more, because I have to clean out the chicken house soon, and when I do she is not going to like it!

She is a very dedicated Jersey Giant -- wish I'd thought to put duck eggs under her when she started . .. she could have hatched quite a few!

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    aw.. i was a touch sad we lost them but not much I could do, clearly we will get some in the end. I actually wasn't even sure if they were fertile but obviously they were! she has tossed a bunch of eggs all over the darn place this morning, perhaps clearing out ones not viable? and firmly planted herself on the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by