Confused Roo!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick423, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Chick423

Chick423 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Wondered if any of you have had this happen.....I just acquired a 10month old silkie Roo who is gorgeous and proud of his new flock of ladies, but we've got a problem, Seymour has decided to start full blown crowing between 2 and 3 am!!

He seriously thinks he sees the sun!! After his 30 min wake up call, he realizes the sun isn't coming up and he shuts up until it actually does!! I'm not sure what to do, I have checked for predators and maybe anything else that would cause an alarm call.....but nothing.

The hubby isn't too happy about this, so I need to figure something out quickly!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My cocks will 'sing' during the night for many reasons, including sounds outside, critter visitations, and lights. The full moon shining into the coop, car headlights, anything of that sort. I've learned to enjoy the music, and the neighbors can't hear them and aren't bothered (so they say). How about earplugs? (Sorry, but it's kinda funny!) Blackout curtains on the coop windows? If he's new, he may quiet down in a few more weeks as he settles in. Maybe a hen is disturbing him and he's sounding off about it, or something. Not very helpful, am I? Mary

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. Goosegrrl

Goosegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Central FL
    Yep... some roos crow at all hours of the night.
    Mine do it too. LOL

One way to prevent middle of the night crowing is to have their coop completely, blackout, dark on the inside.
    Street lights or the moonlight blocked out.
    You don't want your coop to have no ventilation though, so use something like woven weed barrier cloth over any windows(with wire as well of course).

I just ignore mine as I don't find bantam crowing to be too loud or annoying, but it does keep me from having any large fowl cocks around my place as my husband works a job where he sometimes has to swap shifts and sleep during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by