confused rooster?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmyturkens, Dec 8, 2008.

1. luvmyturkens

luvmyturkens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    When I have gone out to collect eggs, I have found our Americauna Rooster sitting on them...is this common? This has happened several times. Will he hatch the eggs or was it a coincidence that he was sitting on them?

Sorry, I don't know much about chickens yet..but I'm learning lots on here.

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    sometimes roosters will get in the nest and coax the hens telling them its a good spot to lay i guess:lol:

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Ive heard of silkie roosters trying to hatch eggs before but never a standard breed rooster !! I dont think he was trying to hatch them (sounds kind of cute) I think he was showing the hens a good nesting box or invesagating it. How long does he stay on the eggs for ?

4. luvmyturkens

luvmyturkens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    I'm not really sure how long he sits on them, but I do know that they are warm when I have picked them up after I find him on them. We live in Pa, so at this time of year they are usually cold.

I thought it was kind of cute too. He is a very laid back rooster. If fact, I haven't seen him trying to "do his thing" with the hen at all. If it weren't for the fact that he crows every morning (afternoon..whenever), I'd wonder if maybe he was a hen in rooster's clothing..lol

We were hoping to try to hatch some eggs in the spring, but it is way to cold now. Maybe he'll help out. [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL, Sounds like he would be a good daddy !!

He might be mating the hen(s) and your just not seeing him do it.

How old is he ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by