Confused Silkie Owner!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jojov, Apr 18, 2007.

1. jojov

jojov New Egg

Apr 16, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Hi all,
    If this were a nutrition problem as suggested, wouldn't the first thing to suffer be her egg production? She has now started laying again (she's the only one in the coop as far as I can tell) and the eggs are normal in every way as far as I can see. I'm still starting her on vitamins, but I am now even more confused. Her symptoms don't seem to be changing at all (no better, no worse). I'm stumped. Anyone got more ideas?

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Have you given her the chopped had boiled egg yet as a supplement? It has protein in it, that seems to be the biggest issue with Silkies the missing animal protein.

I have one bird with a genetic problem, he does the neck thing that you describe. He's done it since he was a chick. If I supplement him with Avia charge and animal protein like a hard boiled egg his neck twitching is greatly reduced.

I also warned you that none of the treatments for this would have an immediate impact, it is gradual. At this point it does not appear that you have even started supplementing her. Yes, she will lay which leads me to lean more to it being a nutrition problem.

3. jojov

jojov New Egg

Apr 16, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, I finally started supplementing her yesterday with eggs and vitamins and we'll just have to wait and see. Plus spring is here and she should start supplementing with nice yummy worms and grubs soon, which is when my chickens are happiest and all look their best! I guess the good news is that at least she's not worsening and still eating, drinking, and pooping strong! So, thanks again for the advice. I do appreciate it! [​IMG]

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ...I got my roo when he was a few months old (know nothing of parentage or anything before that time)...for some reason he has malabsorption problems and then specifically responsive to vit E/selenium ... took three months for it to show improvement and then I still supplement. There are also several conditions that can damge the intestines worms...reovirus just to name a few)...when they are damaged absorption of nutrients is impaired...9could be several things which can cause this). No, it will not always impair egg production.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by