Confused: Wash or don't wash eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crzychicken, Jan 7, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    [​IMG] Not sure what to do with the poopie eggs I don't get to many but...How many wash their eggs? and if you do with what and what about the bloom do you use somthing to re-seal them?

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    If I need to wash poopie eggs I put a light coat of vegetable oil on them to replace the bloom.

3. redneckgirl

redneckgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    I clean eggs that are dirty. You don't have to, but its gross to have poopy or eggs with dirt on them in your food supply.
    The way I clean my eggs, is I simply take a damp cloth & wipe the dirtiness off. [​IMG]

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    We don't bother. They come out of the nests fairly clean, a little poo or dirt doesn't bother me. If they are really nasty I just break them on the ground and let the birds eat them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  5. thedreamers

thedreamers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    We wash only the dirty ones with water, then into the frig. If they are clean when we get them, straight to the frig they go. Either way they never last long around here come the weekend. 6 kids plus friends most times.

6. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I wash lightly in water to clean them up but I am selling them to customers who do not want to see blood or poop.

I store in fridge before the market.

My eggs, I just leave them in a basket on the counter until ready to use or in the fridge sometimes, and then just give them a light wash before I use them.

I have never applied anything to the eggs after.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    REAL REAL REAL REAL dirty ones I give to the dog !!
    (be carfull about giving raw eggs back to you chickens, can cause a bad egg eating habit SOMTIMES)

Semi dirty I spot clean with a paper towel (if I plan on selling it) !!
    If its for keeping I will was right before I use it !!

And clean go right in the fridge to be sold !!

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    hahahah.. really poopy ones go to the dogs??? i thought I was the only one that did that!!!!!

lightly poopy wash lightly with diluted soap.. put in fridge

9. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

ok, heres what ya do......

take the offending egg and assess exactly how much crud (poop, dirt, debris....) there is present which needs to be removed. If it isnt much simply scratching it off ight suffice. However, if it is more than that, folow the following...

1) take egg and place it firmly in a work bench vice with the dirty side out.

2) attache 200 grit sand paper to your favorite car buffer. You can use a belt sander but i find theyare too much for the job sometimes.

3) begin lightly applying pressure to the egg with the sander or buffer. A little elbow grease goes a long way here.

4) once it seems you have removed all debris remove egg from vice.

5) to replace protective coating, apply generous portions of turtle wax car wax. Agian you utilize the buffer thingy here.

6) once sanded and polished you have a most presentable egg for any chef!

no thanx needed for the post, i love to help anytime.

10. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] You're a hoot. If you're ever in Michigan, come on by. We'll slap a paintbrush in your hand. I'm sure you'll have the house painted by lunch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by