1. cherokeefarms

cherokeefarms In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    creole
    i free range my chickens they stay out from about 5 to 6 am untill 7 or 8 pm my coop is cleaned sometimes twice weekly and sprayed with clorox but my birds seem to stay sickly with respitory problems just cant figure it out need help or advice or they missing something in nutrition im from south louisiana and very humid could that be it i dont know any advice welcome because im clueless

2. NateinFL

NateinFL Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Have you tried treating the flock with VetRx? Its cheap and regularly treating the birds with it and adding a few drops to the water is very helpful. I think its camphor oil based. As long as you're feeding them right, and they have sufficient living quarters, that's all I can think of.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Crowing

Apr 19, 2009
    What exactly do you mean by sick with respiratory problems? What are their symptoms? Are you experiencing deaths?

Personally, regardless of the above answer, I might lay off the rigid cleaning and disinfecting schedule if it's a normal thing, not just a response to the illness. Exposure to germs builds the immune system. Their environment should be clean, but such rigorous disinfecting will lead to more illness than it prevents if done on a regular basis. We can even see this in people. Kids whose parents disinfect their environment at home religiously often end up worse off when they enter a school or extracurricular setting because they have not been given the opportunity to gradually build a proper immune response to common pathogens.

4. Foleys

Foleys Songster

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Is bleach really good for them to be around??

5. vatterpa

vatterpa Songster

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    How dusty is it in there? Is your litter too dry?

6. cherokeefarms

Mar 31, 2010
    creole
    they start out with one swollen shut eye then runny beaks up to 3 birds this time some one told me a cup of clorox to 5 gallons of water cures all ailments and flushes there system have u heard of this before

7. harewizard

harewizard Songster

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Hi There! [​IMG]

Are you letting the coop air out from the bleach fumes. It may take some time to be thouroughly dry and fumless in the humid weather. If I was you, I would stop bleaching the coop so frequently. I can't think of anything that bleach is really killing in the coop that you have to do so often. The fumes, I'm sure, may be contributing to breathlessness, wheezing, etc.. [​IMG]

The other thing that comes to mind is gapeworm. If they free-range, it's a possibility. [​IMG]

HTH, [​IMG]
    Lisa

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There are just so many things that it could be. How much ventillation does your coop have? How many birds and how large is the coop? How old are your birds and have you brought new birds into the flock recently? What do they eat? What are the symptoms of what you're seeing?

9. cherokeefarms

Mar 31, 2010
    creole
    my coop is open on 3 sides and under my barn has breeze running thru all the time

10. harewizard

harewizard Songster

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:are you cleaning with the clorox or putting it in their water?? [​IMG]

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by