Confused

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bdikes2009, Apr 12, 2012.

1. bdikes2009

bdikes2009 New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Oroville, Ca
    I just bought 4 baby chicks from the farm store in town, I am not sure how old they are. But they all have little feathers on their wings and the rest of their bodies are covered in chick fuzz. I want to know if I should be taking their food and water out of their rubber maid tub every night or should I leave it in?? Also I have a small bag of chick starter should I keep them on that and for how long. I am very new to chickens and I don't want any of them to die so I need some guidance. Thanks [​IMG]

2. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Ahhhhhh...Aren't they so cute when little! :) They are most likely couple days old.

You should leave the food and water in there. They will eat...drink....poop...and sleep....a lot. Each "brand" of feed has a little different directions, It should say on the bag.

They will "dirty the feed and water bowls regularly...so just clean them out now and then through out the day.
    you can also raise the dishes to the height of their backs and they won't get it so messy as quickly.

If you can let them have some space where they can "get out" from under the heat light.
    They will go to the light when they need to be warmed.

Have Fun! [​IMG]

3. mancina

mancina Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Chicks should have free access to their food and water at all times. When they are babies and have a heat lamp, they may not sleep during the night the way they eventually will, and their job is to eat and grow big, so don't withhold. Sounds like they may be a week old or less. I kept my chicks in a box in the shower, and every time their water dispenser got mucked up, I dumped the dirty water into the toilet.

4. mancina

mancina Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    P.S. You should keep them on chick starter until they start laying, then switch to layer ration.

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I believe It goes something like this [​IMG]

......0-8 weeks give Chick Starter.............8-18 weeks give Grower........18-20 weeks give Layer

I don't think the chicks would need that much protein for that long.......they could become fat chickens. Lol

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You can give them grower after 8 weeks but they do great on starter till point of lay as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by