Confused

island40

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
I have 6 chickens since May 2010. They developed normally and started laying about the end of that year. They layed about 4-5 eggs daily until about the end of 2011. Over that winter they all stopped laying and they seemed to be molting at various times. By about March/April of 2012 they started to lay 2-3 eggs per day. By July they went back down to 2 eggs a day and no eggs every 3rd or 4th day. I have them on Agway Egg Producer since they started laying and have not changed feed at any time . I give them a treat of plain Yoguart 1x every week or two. I also give them bread every so often or occasional extra vegetables that we have . I am careful to make sure that nothing is spoiled or moldy. The coop is about 6x8 with about a 12x 6 outdoor run . Its not sterile but I keep it clean by cleaning up about every 5 days. They have never been visibly ill and appear healthy now. Since I don't have any other experience with chickens I was wondering if this is normal for them. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated

Greetings from Kansas, island40, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us! I'm certainly not an egg expert but it sounds like they could just be slowing down a little withe age. You might post over in the egg and egg production forum or some expert advice. Good luck to you!!

Thanks for thew warm welcome from all. Will try your suggestions . Hope to chat more in the future as the weather here on eastern Long Island sends me indoors more . Nice to know there are lots of nice chicken people out there.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Chickens lay best their first two years, then they start to drop off. The weather this year could have some influence on their laying. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom