Confused!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Renee572, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    So we got our first egg Friday, 2nd egg Saturday and so far none today. At first I thought we might have 2 layers because the eggs were colored a little differently and were in different spots on the coop floor. Was I wrong and both eggs were probably from the same girl and she's taking the day off or is it possible the first layer has taken a 2 day break and the 2nd one is taking the day off as well?

Like I said both eggs were on the coop floor. Today I tried placing each of the chickens in the nesting boxes so they'd get used to them, all 5 freaked out on me and got to squawking and flapping till I had to just let them go. Is that normal or do my chickens not like the setup we have for them? Ughhh I hate feeling like I don't know what I'm doing. :/

2. chickenhound

chickenhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Don't sweat it. If you got your first egg on Friday it will take at least two weeks or so for your pullet or pullets to get in the groove and start laying regularly. Usually a birds egg shell color does not vary that much from day to day. Your birds probably were not ready to lay eggs when you placed them in the nesting boxes so I would say that their reaction was normal. I would not say that that the birds didn't like the nesting boxes, but rather they will go in when they are ready to do so. Give your birds some time and they will get the hang of it. Good luck!!!
    [​IMG]

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Deep breaths - first of all, congrats on the beginning of your eggs!

So - when pullets first start to lay it can take a few weeks for their systems to get the hang of the whole process and you will see starts/pauses, etc. Even once a bird is up to full-on production, depending on breed you will still see a day (or two or three - again, depends on breed and individual bird) without an egg from a given bird in the span of a week's time. Some breeds lay prolifically, others you might see 3-4 eggs a week out of.

On to the nest boxes - they will investigate them on their own. Chickens are, by nature, curious and much more intelligent than most give them credit for. Have you placed any "bait" in the nests - fake eggs, golf balls, etc that will give the impression that someone has already used the nest box as a place to safely deposit their eggs? This will help to give them the idea that those boxes are a good, safe place to lay. I would not force them into the boxes as that creates a negative/scary association with the boxes vs. a safe association.

All that being said - knowing a bit more about the setup you have would better allow us to see and suggest any potential pitfalls with regards to what is most inviting and chicken friendly. Pictures are always best as it is easier to see the setup vs. trying to picture it based on description and possibly getting something wrong in how we interpret what you say and give advice that doesn't actually apply.

4. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    [​IMG] here is our setup. I am wondering if the dish pans move too much when the girls get in them and maybe that freak them out? I could tell that they had already been in there because of the feathers and wood chips spilled out.

I guess you are right and I should not worry too much that we didn't get an egg today. I'm a bit ocd so things that I have little to no control over stress me out. I'm really just curious to know who is giving us the eggs and I guess unless I actually see it happen I probably won't know. So should I just figure I probably only have 1 layer so far? By the size and redness of their combs and wattles I'm thinking we probably only have 1 so far. I guess if I get 2 eggs in the same day that will be the only way to know for sure I have 2.

5. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    [​IMG]this is the one I think is my layer [​IMG] 1st egg [​IMG] 2nd egg
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] and the rest of my girls!

6. chickenhound

chickenhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Don't sweat the dish pans in your nesting boxes, they will work out just fine. Pretty soon you will know exactly what hen/ pullet is laying and what their egg looks like.
    It is always an eggciting time when they first start to lay. Be patient, good things come to those who wait. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by