Confused

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by countryfolk, Feb 13, 2015.

1. countryfolk

countryfolk New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    I picked up a flock of mixed breed chickens (9 hens 2 Roosters) a couple weeks ago. After moving them to our place I started receiving two eggs daily. 9 hens and 2 eggs. Not sure which two hens are the good guys. It's been two weeks and I would think they would be acclimated by now and all laying pretty much daily. Thoughts?

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

With the shortened days of winter some birds just aren't laying eight now. From my 19 I'm getting 2-6 eggs a day.

3. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Their adapting to the place and living ways.How old are they?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Where are you located? It's winter dark hours here and if with you too then lighting could fix the problem. I only supplemented light to make 12 hours but many stick with 14 hours light total. Energy efficient bulb on a timer, make it secured well as coop fires are more common than they should be.

5. countryfolk

countryfolk New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    They range in age from 1 to 4. Located in St. Louis, Mo. where temps are actually in the teens right now.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Moving is a stressful thing to chickens - some more sensitive than others, it could take weeks till the others come on board, unless it is the short days that stopped them.

7. Acornewell

Acornewell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    Temp and daylight...check to make sure they do not have mites or lice too. I know that keeps some from laying.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

The daylight hours are pretty short right now, which is likey preventing your birds from laying well. Only two of my four laying hens are laying right now. Also, they might still be recovering from the move. After getting stressed, they may take more than a couple of weeks to begin laying again.

Another source of stress that could be making your birds not lay are the two roosters. Generally, you want at least eight hens, per rooster. This helps prevent overmating, damaged feathers, and stressed hens. You may want to get rid of one of the rooster, or get more hens. This could help the egg production.

Good luck with your birds, and I hope they lay again soon!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by