Confusing Cochins

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
Hi all,
I have four partridge bantam Cochins. Three are from the farm store and one I purchased from an individual. None of the three act like cockrels, but two look like cockrels by their feather color.
This is the one I bought at 5 months as a girl
20200614_140605.jpg

20200614_140559.jpg

Those are male saddle feathers, correct? (Picture taken at 6-7 months)
This is the other one whose feather colors are saying cockrel:
20200614_140727.jpg

17 weeks
And the two hen colored:
20200614_140721.jpg
20200614_140830.jpg

The confusions comes in because none of them had red combs until recently. Can a cockrel not have a red comb until 6 months?
Do I have two boys that don't act even a little like boys? My younger Cochins boys are crowing and even attempting to grab some girls.
Can girls have feathering like this at 6-7 months? I have silver laced, black, red, white, calico and gold laced and never had confusion with feathers colors for males/female before. They just don't act like boys! Help! :barnie

Pretty sure the first is a roo - I think I can see some saddle feathers there. 3rd and 4th are pullets, the 2nd.... not sure. Gonna say pullet with a non-standard feather pattern (maybe a cross between different varieties?).

Hi all,
I have four partridge bantam Cochins. Three are from the farm store and one I purchased from an individual. None of the three act like cockrels, but two look like cockrels by their feather color.
This is the one I bought at 5 months as a girl
View attachment 2208526
View attachment 2208592
Those are male saddle feathers, correct? (Picture taken at 6-7 months)
This is the other one whose feather colors are saying cockrel:
View attachment 2208541
17 weeks
And the two hen colored:
View attachment 2208575View attachment 2208580
The confusions comes in because none of them had red combs until recently. Can a cockrel not have a red comb until 6 months?
Do I have two boys that don't act even a little like boys? My younger Cochins boys are crowing and even attempting to grab some girls.
Can girls have feathering like this at 6-7 months? I have silver laced, black, red, white, calico and gold laced and never had confusion with feathers colors for males/female before. They just don't act like boys! Help! :barnie
#1, roo. His comb is crazily small.
#2, roo. Also crazy small comb.
#3, pullet. Pattern comfirms it.
#4, pullet, pattern and comb also confirm it.

Im learning. Can you tell me what you mean by feather pattern that makes you be able to tell the sex? thanks.
Sure. Many breeds have different patterning for the male or female. This picture shows a pair of partridge Cochins. The female has
the same color and pattern over her whole body except her neck, the rooster has the same patterning, but not all over. He has patches of color. Black breast, red shoulders, black tail. The hens pattern is seen on him in the hackle and saddle feathers.

20200709_064349.jpg

Some breeds the feathers look the same on both sexes. For example, the Sebright. Both have the exact same pattern. The male does not have typical hackle and saddle feathers and no sickle feathers in his tail.
20200709_065438.jpg

The boys often don't get their pattern until 5-7 months, so it could Lok like a girl for a while.
I hope that helps some.

Back
Top Bottom