Confusing Laws! Can I or Can't I?

oceaniccurrents

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
South Florida
I'm looking to move to Broward County and I have been looking at the Codes of Ordinances of the different cities and they are a little confusing.
Why can't they just flat out say Yes or No?
barnie.gif

Fort Lauderdale
"Pet means any animal that is kept or maintained for pleasure rather than utility. "
"Domesticated means those species of animals that generally live in or about the habitation of humans, including, but not limited to dogs, cats, cows, horses, fowl, sheep, goats and pigs."
"It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep, maintain or permit to be kept or maintained or permit on the premises any animal in any residential district of the city; provided, however, that this prohibition shall not apply to animals capable of being kept as pets within a home such as those species of animals that generally are kept as pets and live in or about the habitation of humans, including but not limited to dogs, cats, birds (excluding chickens, roosters and geese), rabbits, turtles and tropical fish."
"Whenever the keeping or maintenance of any animal or fowl is permitted upon any lands in the city, the owner, agent, employee, servant or other person having charge of the premises and of such animal or fowl, shall clean the pen, coop, sty, or other enclosure where such animals or fowl roost or are kept, each fourth day, shall spray and disinfect such area each fourth day, and shall remove and destroy all refuse, droppings, manure, feathers, or other matters cleaned from such pens or enclosures. "
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10787

Davie
"Animal shall mean any horse, pony, mule, cow, swine, sheep and goat, both domesticated and wild, male and female, singular and plural."
"No person owning or having in his custody animals as herein defined shall permit them to go at large to the injury or annoyance of others, nor shall such animal be permitted at large upon the streets or public ways of the town. Such action is declared to be a nuisance and dangerous to the public health and safety. "
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10630

Sunrise
"The possession or custody of any animal, except dogs and cats, within the city limits is hereby prohibited. However, any animal which does not have vicious or dangerous propensities, in either its wild or domestic state, may be kept within the city limits on the property of the owner or custodian thereof, provided that such animal is kept within a cage constructed and designed to prevent escape therefrom or destruction thereof by the animal contained therein."
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11617

Hollywood
"Any person who shall have or keep any chickens, ducks, poultry or other fowl within the city limits, in any location where the same may be kept under the provisions of the City Zoning Code and any other applicable ordinances, shall comply with the terms and provisions of this subchapter. This subchapter is not intended and shall not be construed to permit the keeping of chickens, ducks, poultry, and other fowl in any location other than provided by the Zoning Code and other applicable ordinances of the city; rather, this subchapter is intended to regulate the keeping of such fowl upon premises wherein such keeping is otherwise permitted."
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:hollywood1_fl

Oakland Park
"No person shall maintain, keep, own, possess or store within the corporate limits of the city any live chicken or any other live domesticated fowl or bird, except in chicken houses, sheds, cages or pens especially constructed for the purpose of confining and housing such fowl."
"No person shall keep, maintain, own, possess or store chickens or other domesticated fowl or undomesticated fowl within the corporate limits of the city in an unsanitary condition such as to constitute a menace to the health and safety of the occupants of the premises wherein such fowl are stored or kept, or to any other inhabitants of the city; nor shall any person who stores, or allows to be stored, chickens or other domesticated fowl or any undomesticated fowl, upon his premises, allow such fowl to be kept in such a manner as to cause noisome odors or noxious gases to arise. "
"It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain or permit to be kept or maintained, or permit on his premises, any horse, cow, goat, hog, livestock, hives of bees or any other animal, except dogs and cats, in any district of the city that may now or hereafter be zoned anything other than A-1 Agricultural. "
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10938

Ft. Lauderdale - No
Davie - Yes, if that's the only relevant part of the code.
Sunrise - Yes if caged and not vicious.
Hollywood - Yes but check local zoning.
Oakland Park - Yes if housed appropriately.

I'm not a lawyer. If I'm wrong, I'll refund what you paid me for this.

I live about as far as you can get from Broward County and still be in Florida. Close enough for me.

[Edit: Don't forget about Home Owners Associations, local zoning, and the reality of not making your neighbors angry even when you have the law on your side.]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom