Confusion about chickens and blueberries!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crzychkn, Mar 11, 2015.

1. crzychkn

crzychkn Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Texas boonies
    Hiya! So yes, indeed, my girls ADORE blueberries! It is quite a sport for them when I toss out a bowl for them, not to mention amusement for me, too! I, personally, do not care for blueberries, so in my gardening design/landscaping project currently, I am making many, many chicken 'fun' and edible gardens all around, and I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them to have at least one blueberry bush, and since I do not care for blueberries, they could have them all! What I am wondering, and am finding a wealth of information on, but it is conflicting, is if I plant an already established blueberry bush will they just eat the berries or will they destroy the whole bush? I did get a decent sized bush, but it is currently living far away from the chickens in a large planter until I can get a more decisive answer on this! I also liked the idea of shade/hidey spot that the bush will offer. However, if they are likely to destroy it then I will grow it up front and harvest for them. I just hope, like a lot of folks state and pics I have seen, that they can have it in their gardens! But just as much info indicates it would be futile for me to plant it in their gardens! Sigh. I would welcome your advice, experience, comments, etc! Thanks tons! :)

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    My hens love blueberries as well. They don't bother the leaves on the bushes at all. They just jump and "pick" the berries as far up as they can reach.

3. crzychkn

crzychkn Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Texas boonies
    I was sooooo hoping someone would confirm that! I saw a YouTube video of that and couldn't help but be thrilled! I want that 'fun' for my flock! Yay! I know what I will be planting for my girls very shortly! Thank you!:D

4. GramaCindy

GramaCindy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Far NW Wisconsin
    If I am correct, I think you may need at least two blueberry bushes, of two seperate varieties for them to pollinate each other or you won't get any berries. Just my 2c

5. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    Be careful with Blueberry bushes around chickens. It can be very dangerous. If you stand between your chickens and a Blueberry bush you could get badly injured. Keep your distance. [​IMG]

6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

7. luckygfarm

luckygfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    My chicks are 4 weeks old. Can I give them blueberries?

8. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

Yes. Just be sure to also supply them with chick sized grit as well if they don't have free range access.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by