1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confusion after rearranging roost board

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Buff-Island-Australorp, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I spent a couple hours rearranging the roost for my (9) 11 week old pullets. My coop is 4' x 8'. The roost was above the pop door, spanning accross one of the 4' ends. The birds are getting big, but were able to still sit on the 4' long roost.
    Today, I lowered it, and mounted it on one of the 8' walls.
    TALK ABOUT CONFUSION!!!! They didn't know what to do. One of them jumped up on the roost, then tried to fly up to the ceiling, smacking her head and falling to the floor. Another one jumped up on the step-up board I mounted so it would be a little easier to access the big roost, jumped back off, then back up, then back off, etc.......Another one tried to jump through one of the windows. I know chickens don't like change, but I had to do something to prepare for their growth.
    Just wanted to share some of the antics of the day. Thanks for reading.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, gosh. I had been thinking about adjusting the roost in my coop as well, but that's just disturbing! Let us know if they figure it out in a few days, okay?

3. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I wouldn't let my experience deter you from doing what you want to do. I just went and checked on them. They have all settled in just fine. Good luck!!

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

No body ever said they were the smartest birds in the Coop! [​IMG] Give them a couple days and all be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by