Confussion in the chicken coop LOL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy4Chicks, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    why is it that all the hens want to try to lay at the same time ?????
    so far I have gotten a large brown egg from Zelda ( americana ) a brown egg from one of the silver laced ( her first !!! ) Miss Christmas is trying to lay , Miss Peaches wants to lay , Cleo is acting like she wants to lay her first , and poor little Bonnie my banty is trying to lay ( normally she goes under the coop, but now is going all over the yard to find the perfect spot ).
    My chicken yard is so full of crazy sounds now - from hens wanting to lay,to hens laying,hens YELLING after they lay - and poor Clyde all he can do is walk around and make really loud noises of his own while trying to tend to all his girls !!!

How in the world am I going to manage it when all 16 hens are finally laying LOL
    and of course NONE will use a nesting box they all have a fav place to lay in the corner of the coop ( to bad they all like the SAME place ) I have actually seen a hen laying down while another one has backed right up into her [​IMG]

I think I need to hire some help just to collect eggs LOL

Julie
    oh well I hear more cackling from the house better go check on them now !!

2. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    They follow the leader...one goes in a nest to lay, then they all seem to remember the routine. I have 10 nests for my 24 girls and they will line up to use the nest that is being used by another. I have 2 hens in particular that create quite the racket until it is their turn. It's a good thing I live out in the country where i don't have complaining neighbors. I am amazed at how loud the girls can be. My roo likes to crow alot too.
    Chickens sure are funny critters! I love 'em.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

P.S. I'm still getting 16-21 eggs a day from my girls--they haven't decided to take a break yet.

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Wow. I'm still waiting for my very first egg. I've never had a fresh farm egg. My Polish are 20 weeks now and my orps are 16 weeks. One Polish hen looks very ready...I just keep hoping every morning that I will find an egg somewhere....but alas....

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Redfeathers, didn't we tell you to get off your hiney?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by