Confuzed on sex of pigeons?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by KWAK, Nov 19, 2011.

1. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I have 2 homers.
    The one spins, coos and fans his tail out and kinda slids it on the ground and goes towards the other one after he spins and coos... And the other one makes "grunting" noises but I have never heard it coo or have seen it spin.
    Any help would be great!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kraig, even pigeons sometimes have problems determining gender. Hen to hen and cock to cock pairs are not all that unusual. The first bird that you described is most likely male, and if the second is bowing her head and fluttering her wings somewhat it is probably a hen. Hope that you have a mixed sex pair.

3. IowaHeritage

IowaHeritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    SourLand is right, also she just might not be ready or just doesnt like him.... yet....[​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    To add to the confusion, some hens will even mount their mates, and the male will readily submit. [​IMG]

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    sounds like the 1st one is a male

6. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I was pretty sure the 1st was a male.
    the second doesnt really coo it more "grunts" it doesnt sound any thing like the one that coo's and it doesnt spin or anything. just grunts when i take the male out.

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Grunting is normal for both sexes, especially when you get near them. Some are more vocal than others. I have some hens that have absolute fits when I get near them, fussing and grunting until I walk away, LOL. Sounds like you have a pair [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by