Congested Chicken - Help!

CardinalRidge

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
Richfield, NC
I have a 13 week old Silkie that has a lot of chest congestion. She started off on Friday looking listless. When we picked her up, we noticed she had some chest congestion. We immdiately removed her from the flock and on the advice of a friend with years of experience, started her and the rest of the flock on a tetracycline powder that gets mixed in the water. I wish I remembered the name, but I left it out in the barn. We have been giving it to her through an eye dropper. She seems to be getting more congested although a bit more animated. I am not sure we are doing the right thing. No one else seems to be congested or lethargic. Should I call a vet?

You can do chlortetracycline 1/2 tsp and gallimycin 11/2 tsp per gal for 7days or want to try denaguard 16cc/gal with brown sugar it is bitter, is what i have read is the dosage. along with vita/eletro in the water but since the bird is already started on a med i do not know if there would be a reaction to a switch. follow up with vita/electro/probiotic. I am not a vet but i know how hard it is to get info so i hope this helps

I found a vet who is about 45 minutes away and am going to take her there this afternoon. If anyone in the Cabarrus or Stanly County, NC area needs a vet - Griffin Exotics in Kannapolis came highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom