1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Congested Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rubyrogue, Sep 20, 2010.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    One of my chickens sounds congested. She has no discharge to speak of but I can hear a rattle when she breathes. She shakes her head every now and again like she is trying to clear something out. Her comb is still bright but she has not laid in over a week. She is the only one I have noticed this with but she is in a run with 9 other hens. Any ideas? Should I separate her out or is it too late all the others have what she has?

2. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
  3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  4. sueinalberta

sueinalberta New Egg

Aug 1, 2014
    This sounds like what my 5 week chick has! I am very worried. My other chicks are fine, just one is sickly. Did you ever find out what was affecting your chicken?
    Thanks!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Since this is an old thread, you will get more views and advice if you describe your chick's symptoms and more info about where she came from on the emergency forum by starting your own thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by