1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

congested hen-not responding to medications

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by filibuster93, Oct 7, 2013.

1. filibuster93

filibuster93 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    rome, ga
    ok. bird: rainbow dixie about 8 months old. just starting laying about 3weeks ago.

history: had a congested cold thing about 3-4 months ago. treated with tylan50 for 4 days and was beyter.

current problem: has been congested for about 2 weeks. did not do much for first week cause not sure if allergy or dust. other 2hens she live with are not ill. gave tylan50 for 2 days with no impact. tried durimycin for 3 days, no impact. broughtinside because she had lost weight and wanted to monitor feeding. put back on tylan50 and thought was helping. also gave vetrx on beak several times a day. gave yogurt with oats mixed in and she ate that for a couple of days before stopping. she eats little, but drinks a lot of water. put her outside one pretty day for some fresh air. tried to lay two eggs, but just came out covered yolks- no shell. she moves around a little, but is pretty lathargic. she is eating less. won't eat yogurt anymore. trying can cat food (i found out they liked it by accident last month). ate a few bites last night, but then no more. still eats treats like grapes and meal worms.

i can hear congestion in chest, but no drainage in eyes or nose/beak.

question: what else can we do, and what can we try to feed her?

living arrangements: she normally lives in a coop with two other hens. free roam backyard during day. currently she is in a crate in bedroom. bedding changed daily, and able to walk around room. she doesn't get on furniture, and i have towels laid on floor and clean every night.

Open to any suggestions. thanks

2. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I'm interested too. My pullet has about the same thing going on. Breathing really heavy and has lost weight. Is inside now with my mareks silkie. ughhhh

3. filibuster93

May 24, 2013
    rome, ga
    that sucks. what things have you tried? i have tried reading other posts and doing what they suggest, but she seems to not be responding to much. she eats little, rests a lot, and is still drinkin water so not sure what else to do.

4. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I had them all on duramycin for 14-15 days and I thought she was better but she apparently isn't. I'm wondering if I need tylan. Guess I should do duramycin for the moment. I think maybe I should worm her just to be safe.

what kind of cat food? maybe I should try that. I'm trying to make sure my mareks bird eats too. I have extra b vitamins in all the water (for the mareks, but I give it to all of them).

My sick cochin pullet actually looks worse than the mareks silkie as far as healthy/breathing. :(

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chronic respiratory diseases sometimes develop resistance to drugs after they are used. Tylan 50 is best given as a shot in the breast muscle or under the skin in the back of the neck. 1 ml for a regular sized chicken, more or less for large or bantams. Duramycin is a weaker antibiotic than Tylan. Tylan shots can be give for 5 days. Does your chicken have a bad odor--that would mean coryza, and another antibiotic (Di-Methox) would be better treatment. Denagard is another powerful drug that is used for drug resistant CRD, but is expensive, and available mostly online. Canned cat food is too low in protein for chickens. Dry cat food has too much protein, but a few pieces wouldn't hurt.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If she is very congested i would try steaming her,place in a bathroom with shower turned on for about 10 minutes.Monitor her. I have steamed many a ill animal and this method works the best. Just to clarify monitoring her while steaming is to ensure she does not become overheated.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  7. filibuster93

May 24, 2013
    rome, ga
    i have been giving 1/2cc of tylan50 shot in the breast. she does not have an odor, and i have been making sure her butt is clean. i think bending that way makes her extra congested, so she hasn't been too concernced about it. she is pooping fine. i will try steaming her in the bathroom. if she doesn't show any difference in next couple if days will try different drug or take to vet. i live in small towns with farms, so i think i found a local vet that does chickens. we are just backyard farmers and only have three hens that we treat like pets. the canned cat food is just friskies or something turkey and cheese. i discovered the chicks liked it when i was trying to get my cat to come inside and put can down on stoop and hens ate it all in like 2 minutes. i will try dry cat food too. i am just trying to get her to keep eating anything. thank you for the suggestions, i will try.

8. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    if I buy tylan, can I buy needles too? I would imagine not! I'd go to TSC. I'm thinking that's what my bantam cochin needs.

I've used duramycin a few times and I think it's not strong enough.

9. filibuster93

May 24, 2013
    rome, ga
    you can buy tylon50, needles and syringes at tractor supply store. cvs and those stores also sell needles and syringes. smaller is better. like diebetic size, but i don't know what actual size is called

10. filibuster93

May 24, 2013
    rome, ga
    just an update. we gave her a steam treatment last night and this morning. after each time she ate some food. she seems to be doing a little better. lots of chicken coughing. she is eating though. some dry cat food and her actual chicken feed. still tired a lot, but slightly more active. have more hop now. last dose of tylan today, but will give her some more steam treatment and vetrx. thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by