Congested Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kqueue, May 21, 2010.

1. kqueue

kqueue New Egg

May 21, 2010
    Hi everyone - I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post and I hope someone can give me some advice.

I have a 2 year old Leghorn hen who sounds terribly congested. You know that sound when you're trying to slurp up the last bit of milkshake through a straw? That's what her breathing sounds like. She seems fine otherwise - her eyes are bright, comb & wattles are good color, she's eating, drinking and pooping normally. I've isolated her from the flock and it's been over a week now, but she doesn't sound any better. Does anyone have any advice for me?

2. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
  3. kqueue

kqueue New Egg

May 21, 2010
    Thank you, Andrea, I'll try this out.

I like the idea of vitamin supplements and probiotics. I'm always hesitant to give any antibiotics and especially in her case since her only symptom is the snot.

4. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    That's exactly how I feel. I decided to try all the supplemental recommendations before medication, and it worked! I did not have to medicate at all. I followed threehorses instructions to the letter. The VETRX is great stuff.
    Hope it works for you!

The only thing I would add is that sometimes these things can be fatal, so to be on the safe side I would go ahead and have either duramycin-10 or tylan-50 w/ syringes on hand so that if she gets worse you can act quickly.

Last edited: May 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by