Congested Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Master S.M.C, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I just got a new Brahma rooster the other day and today I noticed he may be a little sick. He seems to be breathing and it sounds almost like a purr. It about to get cold, so I want to make sure he is healthy. What can I give him?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Anyone, I really don't want to lose him!

3. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    try some vetrx i would think and maybe a little yogurt.

4. isolate your roo.

Keep him warm and dry. keep fresh water in front of him.

If you have to, bring him into a garage or porch to stay out of any drafts.

Vet RX is good. Chickens do not get colds, they get a disease.

Could be a number of things. Watch him and report back to us.

If it was summer it would not be so important to bring him out of your coop or barn (except to isolate)

There is a sticky somewhere on sick birds and what to report.

5. RacillaTheHen

RacillaTheHen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    I had a similar problem. My Dutch Bantam rooster, whom I recently adopted, sounded congested since day one. I happen to work at the animal shelter where he was impounded, so I know for a fact that the whole month he has spent in protective custody he already sounded funny upon inhale... kinda like the purr sound, as you said. He was not getting better or worse and it did not seem to bother him any. I adopted him with another two hens. A week after we built their new coop, I sneaked up on them after dark and listened to his sleeping noises...he basically snored, out loud. To date, there was no discharge, no abnormal changes in the mouth, active, happy, eating bird, only raspy. His morning crows were muffled (much to neighbor´s delight:). He also appeared to be straining a lot when singing. In absence of any other indication of disease I was going to just wait it out. I figured that with proper husbandry and diet his organism will just figure it out.Three days ago he started sneezing, but the ladies are with him 24/7 for almost 2 months, and never caught anything. After talking to the vet, we gave him an Ivermectin shot in the odd case it were airsac mites and started on Baytril. Too soon to judge. If this doesn´t work, then I will do some throat swabs... I will report back to you if there are any changes. Good luck...OMG, I am replying to a thread 3 years old!!! Wow. Total time warp :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by