Congestion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mountaineer, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    I have a small flock of 8 chickens that includes a brown Leghorn. She's about 7 months old and is a daily layer. I have two others, a Leghorn and a Brahma, that are the same age ad also regular layers. The other five consisting of 2 sex links, a Wyandotte, an Easter Egger, and an Australorp have not started laying yet. However, the brown Leghorn sounds like she needs to blow her nose. She also occasionally shakes her head and I can hear the same sound. There are no other symptoms. She is eating well, energetic, and a regular layer. Any speculation from anyone what could be the problem?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a photo (face and body) or video of her?
    Is she sneezing at all?

Check her nares (nostrils) to see if there is anything in them. Occassionally they can get some feed or dirt plugged up in the nostrils. If the nostrils are plugged, then you will need to clean them out.

Also check her over for any signs of lice/mites, around the vent, under the wings, and since she is shaking her head, check the ears to see if anything may be there as well.

It could also be the first signs of respiratory illness, but hopefully it is something else.

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    I'll post a photo later and I'll check her out too. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by