Congestion

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mountaineer, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    I have a small flock of 8 chickens. One of them is a brown Leghorn about 7 months old. She sounds like she needs to blow her nose. Occasionally she will shake her head and I hear the same sound. It does not sound like it's deep in her chest but more in her head. She is a daily layer and eats well. She is energetic and shows no symptoms of being ill. My other chickens are a white Leghorn and a Brahma and both are regular layers about the same age. I also have 2 red sex links, an Easter egger, a Wyandotte, and a black Australorp that have not started laying yet. I keep them in a run about 8' x 15' and they roost in a coop that is 8' x 4'. I let them out for the last two hours of daylight to free range in my backyard. I have their run and the floor of their coop covered in river sand and clean both daily. I have not used any herbicides or disinfectants. I have had them for about a month. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Mountaineer

Sep 7, 2016
    Thanks.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird, excluding roosts and nest boxes. you have the minimum space for 8 chickens. If they are large breeds they would need more.

Do you have good ventilation in the coop ? All the dander that chickens produce may be causing her congestion. Maybe she is just more sensitive than the others.

It would still be a good idea to post on the E?R site just in case they can come up with some other reasons. I hope she will be fine.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I hope that the ER peeps have given you some advice by now.

Best wishes
    CT

7. Mountaineer

Sep 7, 2016
    I built the coop with 8 chickens in mind and used 4 sq ft as the minimum required. My nest boxes are extended outside the coop and the roosts are one 2x4 8' long and another 4' long. Usually 4 or 5 of them gather on the short roost and the other 3 or 4 on the long one so being crowded doesn't appear to be a problem. The coop is well ventilated with screen windows on the east and north side and screen for the roof until winter time. The coop is underneath a carport so it stays dry. They seem quite content. Thank you for replying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by