Congrats Little Richard & Nene

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dianehodges, Jun 9, 2011.

1. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    I finally have a hen that has gone broody Nene is sitting on 6 eggs
    She began sitting June 6 and so far has been very attentive Is there any one out there who will join me? This whole chicken adventure has been one of the most interesting journeys I have been on in a while I love being a chicken person soon to be chicken grandmama:bow:bow:bow

Little Richard, Lady Gaga, Nene Henny, Penny (Dominiques), Red (Lab mix,) Punkin (Kitten), Smallest (old cat,) Retired Veteran livin' my life like its golden & lovin' it

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I counted yesterday and we have 20 birds broody, 18 hens, 1 duck, and 1 goose.

Oh My

3. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    With 20 broody this could not be your first rodeo Do you have any dominiques Should I put food and water close to her or will she go the area where the others eat Thanks

To Thine own self be true

4. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Hey! I'm with you!

My girl started sitting the same day. Well, actually, she started three days earlier. I tried to break her then gave up and gave her some eggs on the sixth.

This is my first time with a broody, too.

I have her in her own pen next to her old one. She can see her buddies, but they don't disturb her or lay eggs on her. I've hung out with her most of the day yesterday and she'll get up for a little bit, preen, stretch, go to the other side of the pen for food and water, then go back. I've heard they only do this once a day, but mine does it several times. It might be because the eggs are getting too hot...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by