Congratulate Freebie-she is now a chicken grandmother

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hotwings, May 5, 2007.

1. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Yes on Kentucky Derby day and Cinco De Mayo day Denise aka Freebie broody Buff Orpington aka Buffy hatched her foster chick. Only one hatched, the other 2 eggs didn't make it. The baby was very vocal when Buffy nudged it-it still had part of the shell still attached. Buffy seems to be a good mother. This is Denise's first homegrown chick. A sort of pre-mothers gift. Pics will follow I am sure. Way to go Denise and Buffy-Mary aka Hotwings.

2. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    [​IMG]........

[​IMG].................

[​IMG].......................................

[​IMG].......................................................

[​IMG]........................................................

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Aw, thanks Hotwings and Mr. Dad. Now you get rewarded with some hatching pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not letting myself go back down to the barn till morning now. It's kinda a bummer that only 1 chick made it, but I only had 3 eggs. And the breed will be a surprise.

4. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Great pics Freebie...... thanks....really cool [​IMG]......

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

How neat that you were there to witness the hatching!!! She looks like a great mommy. Congrats! [​IMG]

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwww, how CUTE is that!!!! I have a broody...she is only 3 days on the nest. I just know...17 days from now, I will be " sleeping with the chickens" LOL
    I cant waite to see how it turns out. Oh, and my Frizzle hens are setting as well. 2 hens share one nest, with 20 or so eggs!! [​IMG] Move over roosters, im coming in with my blankey!!

7. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:I know it was way cool. When I left, it was still as pictured. I just thought I should leave them be for now.

justusnak. good luck with your hatches as well.

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thanks Freebie....I am trying as much as possible, to just stay away from the hens. Only to water, feed, and check on thier health. Waiting for the day I walk in there to baby peeps!! I take the camera every time I go, just in case! LOL

9. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Buff Orp that hatched 1 egg 2 weeks ago. She is a great mommy!!! Hope you have the same luck with your Buff momma!!

Lori

10. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:Well, when we went down this morning. she let us take the baby out and take some pics. And then we hand fed her for a few minutes. She really was nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by