Conical skin growth on barred rock back making he pull out own feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shilaommi, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Shilaommi

Shilaommi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    I noticed my barred rock hen has bald spots on the shoulders and rear above her tail، I diagnosed her and found she had a small hard cone like tumor growing on her back, but this was in different area than where she is missing feathers. She lays eggs and seems fine, but I couldn't figure out why she was missing feathers until yesterday. I saw her prooning like the other chickens, but when she got to her shoulders and back, she would pluck out her own feathers. And several times she bit and scratched her face on the strange growth as if it was irritating her. The growth is a couple of inches below the area on her back that she is plucking. I would really appreciate any ideas from you as the vets are super expensive in la. I spent almost 700 dollars on another chicken a couple of years ago, and can't afford that again. But these are my game, so if I can't figure out how to help her myself, I will be forced to see a vet.
    I appreciate any guidance.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Shilaommi

Jan 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like her oil or preen gland, and they do peck at it to spread oil for grooming. I would look her skin over for signs of lice or mites. She may be getting her feathers pecked out by others in the coop, or if you have a rooster, she could be bare from breeding. What type of feed do you use, and how much room do they have in their coop? Do they get outside to free range daily? My first year with chickens, I had many hens with bare backs from a young rooster. This is common, and they usually chill out later. It's also good to have 8 or more hens for each rooster. Feeding a good all flock feed or a layer feed with a little extra protein can help if it is a protein issue. Many chicken pick feathers out of boredom, when they don't get outside.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you have any roosters?

That cone shaped thing is her Uropygial Gland or Preening Gland (Oil Gland) it basically secretes an oil that the bird wicks away and uses to preen her feathers. She may rub her face on it and then smooth her feathers, etc.

If you are seeing her pick feathers out, check her over for lice/mites - if you see any treat her with some poultry dust or spray which can be found at your local feed store.

5. Shilaommi

Jan 24, 2013
    Thank you for the info on the gland. Good to know.
    I have no rooster, just 6 very happy and spoiled free ranging hens.i feed them Scratch and Peck and it is for layers, and I give them plenty of protein and greens. Did not see live signs. But will check again.
    Just cant figure out why she is pecking her feathers out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by