Conjunctivitis? Eye infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerBoy24, Sep 13, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I went outside and saw one of my hens or roo in the nestbox. I picked him up and saw both of his eyes were closed by some gunky stuff. It looks kinda like when someone gets pink eye and the can't open there eyes. I immediately separated him from the rest of the flock. I read to put warm water and neosporine on it. Will this help? Thanks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    There is an ointment that you can buy from TSC that is especially for the eyes of farm animals. I forget what it's called, but it comes in a tube just like your neosporin does. I would suggest you use that instead, since it's especially made for eyes.

3. Sharylva

Sharylva Out Of The Brooder

I am also dealing with one of my chickens having a swollen eye. The ointment they are reffering to is called terramycin. I have been washing Sparkles eye out with saline solution and treating it with the ointment. I also picked up some chicken vitamins with electrolytes from TSC that I've been putting in her water and sprinkling it on corn (she loves can corn so I know she will eat it) I set up a pen in the house so I could keep her out of the direct sunlight and away from any dust. This has also made it where I can monitor what she is eating and drinking and what her stool looks like. Shes not well yet but the swelling has gone down and she is showing signs of improvement. I hope this helps you and that your girls can have a full recovery. I'm sure hoping mine does!!!!!!!!

4. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    The only chickens I've ever successfully recovered from this was with triple antibiotic ointment. I'm sure Terramycin is probably even better. I used antibiotics in the water & lost every chick! Apparently it must be treated topically in conjunction with any other treatment you feel is suitable. Hope my experience is helpful!!

5. Sharylva

Sharylva Out Of The Brooder

I have been using the terramycin ointment. Do you think I should try the triple antibiotic ointment? Maybe alternate between the two?

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

7. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Okay Good and Bad news. The eye problem is clear!! YAY However (he/she) broke there wing [​IMG] I went outside to clean its eye and saw its wing stuck on the cage. I had to like take the whole cage apart to get it free. That was Yesterday. Today its draining and I have it in the house with a heat lamp. Will it get better? What do I do??

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You might want to start a new thread on the wing to get more attention for the wing experts...I don't know what to do about it unfortunately. And you can search BYC for broken wing too.

I hope it gets better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by