connect two coops in winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gmzamz, Mar 24, 2009.

1. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    is it possible to connect one coop to another through the use of dryer vent and have it removable. I'm asking because I live in MN and the winter are pretty cold, and the fact that my mom won't buy a heater. If you have done this can you please post a picture or two of how you connected them?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am not quite getting what the purpose would be? You don't want to blow 'used' air from one coop into another, that defeats the whole point of ventilation which is to get FRESH air.

Sorry if I'm not understanding something important here,

Pat

3. gmzamz

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    This is only for the winter when I can't heat the chicken coop without the heater. I might just invest in a heater

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    if you're talking about connecting a dryer vent hose to the coop the answer is a definite no. you will be filling the coop with very humid air and is makes no economic sense to run a dryer as a heat supply. if you want to connect as a means of moving heat from one to another you would need a fan of some sort.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

If you used a dryer hose, it would not keep the air warm, it could even cause you more problems.
    Poultry do not need to be "kept" warm. If you allow them to grow feathers according to the climate, use the deep litter method for organic heat (composting) and keeping a layer of 2" or so of fresh litter over that, they should be fine.
    You can use card board for insulation on the ceiling as that is where heat escapes, heat rises, it will help out.
    Hope this helps you out a bit, but keeping them fed with healthy foods, cracked corn at bedtime- keeps them warm from their body grinding it up over night. Also, make sure that whatever you are using for roosts allows them enough toe coverage with their feathers.
    They will be fine!

6. gmzamz

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    Ok, thanks.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I don't think it's help more than hurt. I'd save up money and buy a heater... or just make sure it isn't humid and close the door and let them generate heat from their bodies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by