1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Connecticut Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by valerieann, Jun 30, 2011.

1. valerieann

valerieann New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    Hi ,
    I'm new to the group, but have had a flock for 15 years. Couldn't resist getting some chicks this spring and seem to have ended up with at least 4 roos, maybe 5 (out of 8 altogether--sigh.) One of them is easter egg, the others are bantam, maybe d'uccle, but I don't know that breed well. They are adorable and sweet, so far. I'm not supposed to have roosters, but I think I may be able to get away with keeping a few of the small ones, if they turn out to be well behaved. Does anyone know how many would reasonably get along with 14 girls? Is having more than one a disaster/do I just have to wait and see? The other hens are mostly full size cochins.
    Does having them castrated (caponized) stop the crowing and aggressiveness?
    Is there an online group from Connecticut? I searched the threads but only found really old posts. I'd love to know if there's a good chicken vet around and I was hoping to find homes for the other guys, even though I know that's tough. I'm a softie for these birds.
    Thanks,
    Valerie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by