Conrish Cross

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BirdBoy88, Dec 1, 2008.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Does anyone or has anyone kept a pair?

to see how they would live and if so how is it?

2. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    there is one left out of a batch that we go the first of Sept.. about 11 weeks ago.

she never really grew, and I gave her to my SIL with the "extra" chick that MM sent. she told me last week, that the chick has just lately gotten all of it's feathers and is doing well - but still only about the size of the other chick. I don't know how long she will live, but is growing extreeeemmmmely slowly.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I think everyone in this section has raised Cornish Crosses. Is the question "Do they live to breeding age?". If so, then most don't. They typically die of heart attacks or stroke. Some will always live to an older age, but typically by one year old they'll be goners.

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    If they die so early how do they be able to breed in order to buy chicks? wouldn't they be to big to breed on there own?

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:You don't breed cornish crosses to get more cornish crosses. a cornish cross is a mix of different birds.

meri

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Cornish Cross + Cornish Cross != Cornish Cross

The CX is an F1 hybrid from two different strains of birds which aren't actually 'breeds'. Then again, there are actually no 'breeds' of chicken anyhow; but some people sure get huffy about the subject. [​IMG]

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep... the traits don't carry on to the next generation, or so I've heard. And the parent stock is a closely guarded secret, I guess. [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cornish X White Rock = is one kind of Cornish Cross.

Probably not the kind you order from the hatcheries.

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Oh i never knew any of this.. because i would always be thinking ( well how in the heck can they breed..there to fat)

it's still confusing to me in some ways or another but i am getting and idea of what y'all mean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by