1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cons of Keeping Incubator Temperature Low?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hufflefluff, May 13, 2016.

1. Hufflefluff

Hufflefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2015
    Hi!
    So, essentially, I'm hatching eggs with a Brinsea Mini Eco; today is day 10. I can only adjust the temp with a screwdriver, and 1/4 turn is about four degrees, so I have to be very careful. I haven't adjusted the temperature since I set the eggs, because I know that too high of temps can be deadly for the embryos. Right now, I'm averaging about 97 degrees- it's a forced air model.
    When I candled 2 days ago, I saw definite development in around 1/2 the eggs, as well as some darker shelled ones that I couldn't tell for certain.
    So, are there any other main cons of keeping the temperature low? Should I try to adjust it? Will eggs still hatch when the incubator is at 97 degrees?
    Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Low temps result in delayed development and hatches and increases the risk of developmental problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by