1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Consensus on plastic coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KDOGG331, Mar 18, 2016.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So I know I've probably had a lot of posts about coop ideas over the years but here's the latest ideas:

So I've been wanting to build a coop but had to save and meanwhile my mom doesn't think it's a good idea and she thinks it would take too long or my dad would mess it up. Plus she thinks 4x8 is too small and wants us to just buy a big shed from somewhere. Well that seemed like a great idea and we looked into it but the problem is they're all over 1000 dollars. So we were still unsure on if we wanted to build one or buy one.

I've been looking on Craigslist and really haven't seen anything.

Well just last week my dad suggested we just go buy a plastic shed.

This seems like a decent idea, fairly cheap and you get a lot of space for that price as opposed to how much it would cost to build a much smaller thing.

My only concerns, and they're kind of big ones, are ventilation and that it might get too hot and too cold??? Surely it wouldn't be as bad as metal though? My other main concern is cleaning and germs. He seems to think it would be easy to clean and it probably would be but I worry germs would stay or something, he says plastic doesn't absorb germs but I don't know.

If we did get one I'd get a decent size one and one with windows and at least one vent, not just an equipment one. But is it possible to add more vents to plastic without compromising the structure?

My other idea which I haven't mentioned yet but saw on Craigslist is buying one of those car port things and lining it with hardware cloth. Kinda like a hoop coop i guess though but thicker fabric/premade. I like the idea of a secure and solid structure though

2. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Either way, they need a new coop and run

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Plastic sheds work well as coops, with a bit of modification. The main concerns are fastening roosts and nesting boxes to the plastic, and ventilation. Usually, the roof doesn't have enough overhang to keep out rain, so installing vent covers and sealing them with the appropriate caulk is important. Germs will not be a problem.

4. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks for the info!! I'll have to keep all that in mind :) any suggestions for actually fastening the roosts and nest boxes or assuming theres multiple ways? Maybe instead of making the nest boxes go through the wall like they would for a wood one I could make a stand or something?

5. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Okay so I know you said plastic sheds are good but what about metal or vinyl? Still too hot? Found this website called Sheds For Less, Direct (shedsforlessdirect.com) and its amazing how cheap the metal ones are. Though obviously I want the best for the birds

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Metal shouldn't be too hot if it's in a shaded location and has plenty of ventilation. The bigger worry is that metal is harder to make modifications to, and sharp edges.
    Vinyl is the same as plastic.

7. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

That's good to know! And ahh yeah, hadn't thought of that part!!! Plus I just asked my dad and he said metal is bad because it's really loud, like every time it rains it sounds like you're in a snare drum. That's a good point.

And ohhh okay, I wasn't sure because on the website it had it listed separate. Maybe it was like metal framed with vinyl siding instead of entirely plastic or something?

And then roosts and stuff you can just drill into?

Also I'm noticing even the ones with "ventilation" its just 2 teeny vents, one at the way top front and one back one and I'm assuming they need more than that?

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yep, you need to add more. Good news is that vent covers, like the ones on the prefab sheds can be found at most hardware stores for just a few dollars each. Just cut the whole to be a bit smaller than the cover, and attach with waterproof caulk or epoxy. Cheap, easy ventilation and no worries about rain getting blown in.

9. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks!! That's good to know they're cheap and easy to find :) I'll do that

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Plastic sheds are harder to modify, as already pointed out.
    Some are probably harder than others, depending on their construction.
    You'd have to be very careful with your modifications, as they're less forgiving than wood, so a good skill set would be imperative.

Instead of being able to drive a screw into framing or siding, you may have to use bolts thru the walls....
    ....making bigger holes not easily repaired if need be and opening the building to water infiltration.

I think longevity, as compared to wood, could be an issue too...they can get brittle and crack, especially considering that you're adding holes to the structure.
    I dunno, I just don't care for plastic much...tho I have seen a couple of skillful modifications, whether they held up long term - I don't know.

ETA:(proud of your paragraphs!)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by