Consider a Florida room!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Our Roost, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    This is our first season of rearing chickens since April and constructing a coop and run to house them. I incorporated and used tons of ideas and information when we ventured into this project. We never considered "predators and pests" into the equation. Consequently, we lost 3 birds to a hawk, a bobcat, and a coyote. A fenced run was nothing more than an open lunch box for predators when we left the birds unattended. I sensed that this was going to be an ongoing problem and something had to be done and soon!
    I could just not picture myself erecting netting over a 30 x 55ft. run area. I needed a roofed and fenced shelter that gave the chickens enough space outside the coop to get some fresh air and stretch their legs so to speak. One might ask, just what is a "Florida room"???? I'll bet Florida has more of these seasonal sunshine rooms than any other state! I dont know how it got its name, but I do know its a good place to lounge around and relax with friends and family while protecting you from rain, bugs, and what ever else when your barbequing! Sounded perfect for the chickens. I could feed them and water them while protecting them from predators while they socialized! I have to tell you that when we are not attending the birds or away on weekends, we keep the birds in this room which is attached to the coop for access to both. In the morning they come out into the room for the day, and at night they venture back to the coop. They have the fresh air and warmth of the coop. Best of both worlds! Plus they have the run area to use when predators are least likely to be on the prowl. If you are having a problem with critters, you may want to consider erecting a "Florida room". It seems to have solved my problem.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have a green house that my birds invaded it is now full of poultry dust top to bottom in just a year so you will have alot of cleaning to do to keep it pretty, just sayen.
    Good luck on your project and post some pictures when you are done.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'd enjoy seeing photos of this.

4. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    To zazouse and aoxa, I dont know how to post photos, but I will play around with it and see if I can. I think you will like what you see. Not as much upkeep as you would expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by