Considered Pure or mutt?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emrldgrn1, Sep 11, 2009.

1. emrldgrn1

emrldgrn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Vass, NC
    I am making the switch from Americanas to Auracanas and have two Auracana Roos covering my Americana hens. Wouls the chicks be classified as Mutts? As far as egg swaps would they be Mutt eggs?[​IMG]

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Edited for content, please review the rules of posting at BYC

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2009
  3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yes, they'll be mutts. No doubt gorgeous mutts. Are they real rumpless Araucanas and purebred Ameraucanas?

Easier question: did you buy them from a hatchery?

If so, you have Easter Eggers. If not, you might have the real thing and you should breed them separately.

And sorry if we are all bristling up, people get very annoyed when "Araucana" and "Ameraucana" are misspelled.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, araucana and ameraucana are two completely separate breeds, with different breed requirements based on the standard of perfection. To cross them would make a mixed breed until you can get it to conform to one of the standards and breed true (which would take several generations).

I will start discussing some of the obvious differences, so you understand why they are not as similar as you may think.

Ameraucana traits:
    white/slate skin
    full tail
    muffs & beards

Araucana traits:
    yellow/willow skin
    no tail/rumpless
    ear tufts

5. emrldgrn1

emrldgrn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Vass, NC
    Araucanas, yes they are PURE. They are rumpless and tuffted and i bought them from a reputable breeder. As far as my spelling, I miss spell alot of stuff, that doesnt make whipped cream cool whip. My hens are EE. I have found that to be so by the descriptions. But thank you to everyone for the advice I do appriciate it. This is helpfull when i get rid of the chicks i have in the bator.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Having the proper recognized color would be a problem and the muffs and beard on the chicks would be a problem. Leg color should not be a problem.

With a little work and a few generations you could have araucana. You could sell the chicks in the bator as araucana hybrids.

I would love to have a few of those rumpless chicks.

Tim

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Not sure why leg colour would not be a problem. Ameraucanas have white skin, slate legs. Araucanas have yellow skin & willow legs. EEs can have any colour of skin/legs.

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    All of the EE I have seen have willow legs. I am sure some do not ;so only use birds with willow legs.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by