Considering a goat.....what should we know ......

smpezzi

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Mid-Michigan
We are on 1ac. and are considering a goat I am just in the beginning of research etc, we are looking at a dairy goat, but need help from those with experience. What should we consider? I know we need sturdy fencing for certain what else? should we get a pair? should it be male and female? See I am a goat dummy lol Any and all help/suggestions would be most appreciated.

TIA

You need to research the dairy breeds to decide which breed you like best.

You definitely need at least two! Goats are very social animals and need the company of another goat. They get very bored and lonely when alone and can actually get physically sick. If you need lots of milk then get two does to milk. If not, then get one doe and one wether.

Here's a good goat site: http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/index.php

Fencing
is the biggest issue with goats. You need to put good money into a secure fence from the beginning.

Personally, I don't want my goats to have horns. Some people want their goats to have horns -- it's a personal decision. Horns can be used to hurt other goats, animals and you (or worse, your children) and horns can get caught in fences and hurt the goat.

You're on the right track ... do lots of reading and asking questions before you bring your first goats home.

Thank you for the link
smile.png

you should get goats in pairs, they like company. If you want to drink the milk, i would stay away from housing a buck and a doe together, the buck can tint the flavor of the milk. But it is also important to remember that you dont get any milk without a baby so at some point a buck is needed.

All of our goats have horns, and dont have a problem with it, it also adds a nice handle when needed. We dont like the process of removing horns and feel there is no real need.

fencing needs to be tough, goats can climb, and open gates! The red line fencing works well and we have had luck with electric so far.

Good luck!

goats are herd animals. so you need more than one. also, i have raised and bred goats for many years. nigerian dwarfs, lamaches, boar, and i have one tennesse fainting goat.

you need to know: if water can get through it, so can a goat.

they will jump on your vehicles and much pleasure to them.

they will eat all of your chicken food, horse food, whatever food that you have out.

they are always "starving" very glutton animals

they will eat your weeds in your pasture. but thats about it. so dont look for a lawn mower. its a misconception on goats.

however, if you have lovely plants that you want to keep. well, a goat will eat them.. tomatoe plants, plants with leaves, etc etc

if you have a billy. he will stink to high heaven.

if you have just a castrated goat, a wether. he wont stink at all! neither will a female

ok now more questions,

if we were to get two does and one buck, and keep the does penned together and the buck in a seperate pen about 2-3 feet away would the single buck get lonely or would he be ok nearby the two does?

on feeding is it best to have a feed schedule or feed them when their feed trough is empty?

We are considering mini's as opposed to I guess you would call them standards so that the kids can help more, are there major downfalls to this idea?

Thank you all for your input and advice

wow I am reading this thread with bated breath , I want goats too and have hubby just about convinced for next year.
And your asking such good questions too.
I have one, Is it harder too milk a mini cause they are too tiny. Oh I have 9/10 th of an acre.But they would be in an area of about 1/3 of an acre.

I don't mean to steal the thread but maybe we can both think of questions and benefit from the answers

Back
Top Bottom