Considering a turkey, looking for advice...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by tanyizzle, Jun 5, 2011.

1. tanyizzle

tanyizzle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hey all, we currently have 9 chickens (plenty of room for more) and are considering adding a turkey under the hopes of it being extra tastey around the holidays. We ran the idea by the kid who approved it, and would be naming it Dinner so that he doesn't forget its going to get eaten. I assume people have done it, but are there issues with raising one turkey with a bunch of chickens? Preferred breed? Would it be ready in time for thanksgiving? Any other concerns I should have? Thanks.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Some areas have blackhead which is passed from chickens to turkeys. Most of us do it and have no problems. You would need to get a broad breasted type to be big for thanksgiving. Heritage birds are better but need 8-9 months of growth. If you could find a 2-3 month old heritage, that would be fine. Get a couple in case something happens to one and if it doesn't, you have one for Christmas also.

3. tanyizzle

Apr 17, 2011
    Saratoga County, NY
    Also is there a place I can get just two of em? Looking online but I don't need 15 : \\

4. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
  5. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:You will have to get them from an indiviusal from sites like craigslist. Go to the farm&garden section and search turkey & then turkeys.

6. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    I really wish every area had a site like southeasttexas.com

7. ccm352

ccm352 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Lansdale PA
    what areas are more prone to blackhead?

8. tanyizzle

Apr 17, 2011
    Saratoga County, NY
    Is it better to get males or females if you're planning on eating them? Is one noisier than the other?

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Do you have feed stores near by? More and more feed stores near me have added poultry/chick sales for the spring/summer months. If one feed store doesn't have poults arriving , do try another. I don't know state rules for NY, in massa chusetts we are required to purchase 6. I remind the sales clerk that I already bought and have way more than 6 to keep the new ones company! GL

10. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:They both eat well but the males get bigger! Turkeys are not too noisy but they do gobble a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by