Considering Adding A Goose To The Family...

Fuzzbutts

Chirping
Jan 2, 2018
Prescott Valley, Arizona
I'm sure this question has probably been asked by others before me, but I am having trouble locating any related posts.
My husband and I have been toying with the idea of potentially adding a goose to our duck family, but I have a few questions. I am wondering if geese and ducks get along (obviously very important), and what kind of potential noise level would we be looking at with a goose? Are they very loud or relatively quiet for the most part (I'm sure this depends on the goose.... but still it's worth asking, right?). Lastly, are geese like ducks in the sense that they do better growing up in pairs? Or do they fare well flying solo, so to speak?
Any help or advice would be wonderful.
We love our feathered companions and are always looking to expand the family.:)

Geese are loud..lol
I have a house gander. He was the only one of 5 eggs to hatch last July.
Didn't know he was a he until just a couple of months ago. Will be getting him 2 girls in the spring, I hope. They do better as a trio.
As far as getting along with others, he does well with my chickens and call ducks, although he isn't breeding age yet. Males have been known to attack other make ducks and can do serious damage, even with female geese around, but not all will and not always.
All that being said, I adore my spoiled rotten gander...;)

Geese are loud..lol
Didn't know he was a he until just a couple of months ago. Will be getting him 2 girls in the spring, I hope. They do better as a trio.
As far as getting along with others, he does well with my chickens and call ducks, although he isn't breeding age yet. Males have been known to attack other make ducks and can do serious damage, even with female geese around, but not all will and not always.
Geese are loud..lol

We currently have 2 female ducks who are incredibly friendly (and also spoiled rotten) and if we went the route of a goose we would get a baby and raise it with our ducks(I don't know the technical term for a baby goose haha). I'm wondering what sex might be a better fit, if you have any suggestions.
Thank you for your input!! Geese seem to be growing in popularity, and from what I hear they have really great personalities!

We currently have 2 female ducks who are incredibly friendly (and also spoiled rotten) and if we went the route of a goose we would get a baby and raise it with our ducks(I don't know the technical term for a baby goose haha). I'm wondering what sex might be a better fit, if you have any suggestions.
Thank you for your input!! Geese seem to be growing in popularity, and from what I hear they have really great personalities!
A gosling I believe!?! I kno

I'm sure this question has probably been asked by others before me, but I am having trouble locating any related posts.
My husband and I have been toying with the idea of potentially adding a goose to our duck family, but I have a few questions. I am wondering if geese and ducks get along (obviously very important), and what kind of potential noise level would we be looking at with a goose? Are they very loud or relatively quiet for the most part (I'm sure this depends on the goose.... but still it's worth asking, right?). Lastly, are geese like ducks in the sense that they do better growing up in pairs? Or do they fare well flying solo, so to speak?
Any help or advice would be wonderful.
We love our feathered companions and are always looking to expand the family.:)
Recently saw someone thinking about putting down a duck after a gander had a go at her. Deciding whether to eat an injured bird or not. They decided to give her a chance to recover. And ducks ARE hardy. But why risk it? My ducks were MUCH louder than my chickens... and hilarious to saying "whack, whack, wack". Not all the time though, more like when you approach. We thought they were working for the mafia. :p

As far as I'm concerned ducks don't house well with chickens either.

Don't know about the whole pairs thing... But I always see them flying in a flock not alone.
he isn't breeding age yet. Males have been known to attack other make ducks and can do serious damage, even with female geese around, but not all will and not always.
Better provide separate house and yard before that happens. It's brutal and can be too late by the time you figure it out. Once hormones kick in all bets are off! :confused:

I would think it would be best to get females. Males may try to breed the ducks and could potentially hurt them.
They do have great personalities, but you want to establish whose boss from the get go and maintain it. There are a couple of great threads in the goose forum about goose behavior and training. Ask lots of questions!
A gosling I believe!?! I kno
Yes, you are correct.

@Pyxis I believe your expertise would be more than welcome and helpful here. :)

Back
Top Bottom