Considering as pets

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nanaluvsgps, Apr 5, 2012.

1. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Do the normal japanese quails make good pets. If you got a girl and boy would they over breed. Do they run around he back yard or do you need a enclosure or them. Do they like living in groups. Thanks :)

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    If by good pet you mean something pretty to look at that doesn't require a lot of interaction then sure...If you're looking for something for you to hold and cuddle then no.

They do need an enclosure...for their safety. Bad things eat quail and they won't "free range" like a chicken and come back every night.

If you are only wanting two...get females. when they lay eggs (don't need a male for egg production) you can eat them....If you are wanting to incubate eggs, get 1 male and 3 females or he will wear her out and pull all the feathers from her back and head.

They need at least 1 sq ft per bird in their enclosure...don't forget to add room for the feeder and water...so for 4 quail you need to have an enclosure 2 feet by 2.5 feet to allow floor space for feeder/water without taking up the space for the quail.

hope this helped.

3. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Thank you very much it did :)

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    it makes it a TON easier to have them on 1/2" hardware cloth as well, so the poo falls right on the ground, it seems a little mean to keep them on wire, my birds are and are fine, tho i do keep kitty litter pans in there filled with sand or wood shavings so they have something to dust bath in

5. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Can you raise the eggs with out an incubator or broody hen?

6. SilkieCrazy123

SilkieCrazy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Antelope, CA America
    no, not really. It would be very complicated to do so. I think you could do something like that with a heat lamp, but you need to do A LOT of research on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by