Considering breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hammie919, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Hammie919

Hammie919 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    I'm thinking about possibly breeding chickens that have either feathered feet or beards or both. But I really need some information about breeding and trying to keep them true to breed. Is it really hard to start a breeding program? And what kind of things would I need? Also finding decent breeding stock seems to be a challenge on the west coast. So ideas, tips and/or instructions would be great. It just sounds like a fun and rewarding challenge.
    Thanks,
    Heather

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The first challenge will be to find good breeding stock. What breeds are you interested in?

3. Hammie919

Feb 25, 2016
    I'm thinking either partridge Cochin or salmon favorelles but I would be willing to branch out on the colors more if necessary.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I think other color Cochins are easier to come by than Faverolles. I do have salmon Faverolles but I am on the other coast. There are several west coast breeders that I know of in OR and WA. The Faverolles thread is here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/268082/faverolles-thread/16460

I would try to contact elizmartin for possible breeders out that way.

I am less familiar with Cochin breeders.

5. Hammie919

Feb 25, 2016
    I think I'm going to go for faverolles as they seem tone a favorite at home. I posted on the faverolle thread so I'll see if that goes somewhere but I still need general information on breeding.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The first step would be to familiarize yourself with the defining features of your chosen breed. Then get some good stock. Grow them out till they are about a year old, then decide which ones are the keepers, and which birds have disqualifications/faults that you would rather not pass on. Then take your chosen adults, and put them in a breeding pen/coop. Then start hatching eggs. Then repeat steps 3 through 5.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by