considering eggs for broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sammimom, May 16, 2010.

1. Sammimom

Sammimom Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    My Buff O. is brooding...again. This is her second time and she is only one year old. She's been at it for three weeks! We've been considering getting some fertilized eggs from a friend (we would like a couple more chicks) but my fear is that she will cease brooding and then we'll have helpless half formed chicks in eggs with no incubator. Also, I don't know the best way to go about seperating a broody hen with chicks...the only safe place is the coop, we have preditors galore around here and any kind of make-shift pen would last less then a week against the critters.

Should I forget the eggs idea because she is likely almost done brooding?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    buy day old chicks, slip them under her at night, just lay them slightly behind her wings, and they will disappear under her. If she has been broody for 3 weeks, her body is telling her that chicks should be coming soon. There is nothing funner to watch than a hen and chicks.

I have been praying for a broody, thought maybe today, but no. You are lucky.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Also, I left mine in the coop, with the other chickens. She defended them briskly from the other hens, and the other hens pretty much ignored them.

4. Sammimom

Sammimom Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    Mrs. K, WONDERFUL idea! I'll see what I can do with that, it's an excellent solution to my dilemma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by